Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dad's Last Sunday......or his first?



This was a picture I took from the congregation of Centerburg United Methodist Church, in Centerburg, Ohio. My dad has been the pastor here for seven years or so, and has been a Methodist pastor for over 26 years. He has decided to "Hang up the Robe" so to speak.

After many days of prayerful wrestling with a decision approaching, he has decided to take a leave of absence. He states that he is concerned with how the upper hierarchy of the Methodist Church is operating and the direction they are heading. I was joined by several friends and family celebrating my father's last Sunday behind the pulpit. Sunday, May 24, was a day to remember.

I was doing play by play via Twitter.

"Today is my dad's last day preaching in a Methodist pulpit, pray that God will be glorified. Way to go Dad! U had a gr8 run!"

"Sittin thru my dad's last sunday, & I am amzd @ how God has moved thru my dad n his 26 yrs of mnstry. wht a srvnt of the Most High God!

Many people have requested audio as well as his sermon transcript, here are some of the quotes:

"By not saying yes 2 God 2day u cud b saying no 2 God 4 all eternity! 2morrow is never guaranteed!",

"If ur ministry is going to count, its going to cost! The ministry that counts the most, costs the most! Endure the suffering!",

My dad says, "People n church are more concerned abt the sermon length then the sermon depth." Ouch!

One of my favorite things Dad said on Sunday that shocked me was: He quoted a person from the Centerburg congregation saying, "Sorry Gary, we really put you through hell." And he agreed, "You did!" You could have heard a pin drop it was so quiet. The sad thing was he had 26 years of going through hell. You just wouldn't think suffering for Christ would come from inside the church walls.

My dad's call to ministry, and "Ministry Verse" came from 2 Timothy 4:1-5. It also was the passage of his final sermon. It says, "I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom: 2 Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.

3 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will reject the truth and chase after myths.

5 But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.

It was a great message, a great day, and a great God was glorified. I think my dad summed up an emotional day just beautifully on his Facebook page later Sunday night. He said and I quote,

"Giving thanks to God this evening for family and friends who helped to make this day so much easier for me...it may have been my last day to share God's Word in a United Methodist Church...but I'll be dog-gone if it's the last time I share God's Word!"

Praise be to God!

Dad, I have never been more proud of you than I am right now. The steps you have taken, and the way you have taken them, has been honorable and encouraging for a son of yours to observe. I know you are true to your word when you said, "I'll be dog-gone if it's the last time I share God's Word!" God bless you dad, and every step you take for Him this day forth! Love ya!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lukie! What an awesome blog site you have put together!! I'm so proud of you and your BOLDNESS to proclaim Christ! That's what the world needs! NOW!

I whole-heartedly agree that your Dad's sermon was as dynamic as I've heard from him! Not mincing words or beating around the bush - it was a tremendous blessing to be a part of that service. Love you guys so much!! Aunt Joanne

Anonymous said...

Luke that was pretty freakin sweet! Thanks for sharing, doesn't make me feel quite as much like I missed it!
~Crystal

Anonymous said...

thanks Luke for posting, the day sounded awesome from Dad's perspective and I know everyone is going to miss him from the church