Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Just a Thought that God Provided...



























I was doing my normal day of service as an intern at New Hope Community Church in Loudonville, Ohio, when God spoke to me....

I was asked to sort out the Christmas Eve candlelight candles from previous years to determine whether they are usable again this year.

As I was doing that and focusing on the size, condition, and usability of each candle, I found towards the completion of this task my standards had changed. I was allowing candles to pass my approval that earlier I would have thrown away.

Upon, realizing that my standards had changed gradually, God spoke to me and said, "My standards have never changed."

In
1 Samuel 16:7 it says, "But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

In this passage Israel wanted a king to lead them (even though they already had the King of Kings). The Israelites wanted someone that fit the part. Tall, handsome, and strong. How does this fit my story....well I was doing the same thing Israel was doing looking only to what is presentable. God has never looked at our appearance or height (I thank Him in my case!) He looks at our hearts.

Our hearts need to be pure and holy. I love the verse in Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Do you desire for God to investigate your heart? Pray the last verse aloud with me, "Lord, point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. Amen!

I pray that God will show you everyday situations, that He wants to use as a teachable lesson for you to gain a new perspective, a better understanding, and a deeper relationship with the Most High God!

And remember....

"Don't judge a book by its cover," or in my case, "Don't judge a candle by its wax!"

P.S. Oh by the way the wax of the "not usable" candles went in a box and was given to a Candle Maker, to be melted down, and shaped for something new! But that is another lesson altogether!






4 comments:

Nicole said...

Luke! So happy to see/read your blog! My mom was just telling me about your candle picking adventures last night-too funny:) Glad God had a word for you and for you to share; HE IS SO FAITHFUL! He is a God of great wonder...He is a God of details:)

He is Risen, PRAISE HIM!

Your free sample homey,
Nicole @ New Hope

Bud Stanton said...

Great post Luke. What a great thought especially at this time of year. Lord search my heart. I know I have heart issues many times and my prayer is the same as yours. Lord fix me.

Unknown said...

Great post!

I love your heart.

lil' warrior said...

Its weird when God speaks in the most mundane times and situations. But, I am humbled to be someone that whom He speaks to!!